The NCC flag for various units of the NCC was first introduced in 1951. The flag was of same pattern, color and size as was used by various regiments of the Army. The only difference was that it had the NCC badge and unit designation placed in the center. Later on it was felt that the flag should be in keeping with the inter-service character of the Corps. In 1954 the existing tricolor flag was introduced. The three colors in the flag depict the three services of the Corps, red for the Army, deep blue for the Navy and light blue for the Air Force. The letters NCC and the NCC crest in gold in the middle of the flag encircled by a wreath of lotus, give the flag a colorful look and a distinct identity.