Dr. Niladri Sekhar Bagchi is Assistant Professor of Economics at the School of Liberal Education, Galgotias University. He did his PhD in Agricultural Economics from IIT Kharagpur. He has six years of experience as research assistant and research associate in the areas of agricultural value chain for smallholders, inclusive and sustainable agricultural intensification, bio-economic modelling, integrated assessment modelling, geo-statistical analysis, rural livelihood and migration. He worked in different interdisciplinary projects at both national and international levels and gained experience in extensive field-level research with Ethical Community Engagement approach.
- Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics from IIT Kharagpur
- MA in Economics from Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- B.Sc. in Economics from Vidyasagar University, West Bengal
- UGC-NET in Economics in 2013 and 2015
- Bagchi, N. S., Mishra, P., & Behera, B. (2021). Value chain development for linking land-constrained farmers to markets: Experience from two selected villages of West Bengal, India. Land Use Policy, 104, 105363. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landusepol.2021.105363
- Bagchi, N. S., Mishra, P., Behera, B., & Ratna Reddy, V. (2022). Collectivization of smallholder farmers, strategic competition, and market performance: Experiences from two selected villages of West Bengal, India. Agribusiness, 38(3), 710-733. https://doi.org/10.1002/agr.21742
- Merritt, W. S., Hamilton, S. H., Bagchi, N. S., Baral, N., Carter, L., Chakraborty, A., ... & Williams, L. J. (2022). Reflecting on an integrated approach to understanding pathways for socially inclusive agricultural intensification. The Journal of Development Studies, 58(8), 1569-1587. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220388.2022.2029418
- Nidumolu, U., Lubbers, M., Kanellopoulos, A., van Ittersum, M. K., Roth, C. H., Mishra, P., Bagchi, N. S., ... & Gaydon, D. S. (2022). Integrating gender and farmer's preferences in a discussion support tool for crop choice. Agricultural Systems, 195, 103300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2021.103300
- Mishra, P., B. Behera, Bagchi, N. S., B. Paria, V. R. Reddy, C. Tallapragada, S. Majumdar, and D. B. Rahut. (2023). Development of Capitals and Capabilities of Smallholder Farmers for Promoting Inclusive Intensification in Agriculture: Experiences from Northern West Bengal, India. ADBI Working Paper 1356. Tokyo: Asian Development Bank Institute. Available: https://doi.org/10.56506/IDLS6570
- Bagchi, N. S., Mishra, P., & Behera, B. (2019). Impact of Cost-effective Protected Cultivation on Income of Marginal Farmers. In Sangwan, S. S., & Gagan Deep (Ed.), Policy and Technological Options for Doubling Farmers’ Income (ISBN 9788185835888), 115-128. CRRID, Chandigarh, India.
Conference and Workshop
- Presented paper titled “Market Linking of Marginalized Farmers through ICT Applications, Collectivization and Protected Farming” in the conference on “Rural Economic Transformation: Pathways to Inclusive and Sustainable Prosperity in Post-COVID-19 Asia” organized virtually by Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI) during November 17 to 19, 2021.
- Selected for presentation of the paper titled “Linking Land-constrained Farmers to Markets: A Study in West Bengal in India” in the “Sustainability and Development Conference” organized by University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, U.S.A. during November 9 to 11, 2018.
- Presented paper titled “Impact of Cost-effective Cultivation on Income of Marginal Farmers” at the national seminar on “Policy and Technological Options for Doubling farmers’ Income” organized by State Bank of India Chair, Centre for Research in Rural and Industrial Development (CRRID), Chandigarh, India during March 22-23, 2018.
- Presented paper titled “Effectiveness of ICT in Marketing Perishable Agricultural Produce: Experiences from West Bengal” at the 2nd Annual Conference of the Association of the Socio-economic Development Studies (ASEDS) on “Emerging Issues on Society, Economy and Governance with Special Reference to Digital India” hosted by the Giri Institute of Development Studies (GIDS), Lucknow, India during December 6-7, 2018.
- Participated in the workshop on “Qualitative Methods Training and Value Chains” organized by Commonwealth Science and Industry Research Organisation (CSIRO) Australia in Brisbane, Australia during May 8-16, 2018, sponsored by Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR).
- Presented research idea at the workshop on “Rural Water Quality and Management” jointly organized by The University of Edinburgh and IIT Kharagpur at IIT Kharagpur, India during May 14-16, 2019.
- Participated in the MHRD TEQIP – III workshop on “Climate Change Risk on Sustainable Development in Rural India (Fact, Fiction and Policy)” organized by Rural Development Centre, IIT kharagpur, India during July 17-19, 2018.
- Participated in the workshop on “Geo-Statistical Methods for Economic Analysis” during June 20-24, 2022 organized by and at Indira Gandhi Institute for Development Research (IGIDR), Mumbai.
Areas of Research Interest
- Agricultural Economics
- Labour and Migration
- Nutrition and Food Security
- Geo-spatial Economics
- Sustainable Development