School of Library & Information Sciences Back
Master of Library & Information Science (M.L.I.Sc.)
This programme aims to provide a thorough knowledge of theory and practice in library and information science. The programme imparts strong inter personal and organizational skills with an understanding of contemporary library needs and information systems.
Duration- 1 Year
For course related queries please contact : Prof. MTM Khan
B.Lib with minimum 50% marks in aggregate
Given the challenges and opportunities of the data deluge in the digital age, the information professionals are in high demand, as businesses, organizations and society confront and address the issues armed with the tools and technologies of information management.More and more emphasis on research in every sector has paved the way for the establishment and development of academic and R& D organizations. A library Information Centre is a hub around which revolves the academic activities of the institution.The implementation of public library bill in many of the states of the country has also helped in opening job prospects at village, town, city and metropolitan levels.The school attempts to look at the current needs of the market with respect to competencies of a fresh Library science graduate and the feasibility of fulfilling the increasingly growing expectations of their prospective employers with a view to prove their mettle at the work place i.e. School, College and University Libraries and Information Centres.
The Masters degree holders with immense practical background and equipped with intensive and extensive knowledge of the use of Information Communication Technology in libraries, have a very bright prospectus of getting responsible positions as library professionals in University Libraries and Information Centres. The Doctorate degree holders, with a wealth of creativity and treasure of talents, have high probability of being offered lucrative jobs in the institutes of national and international repute. Besides, they may get an opportunity to serve as faculty members in a number of schools of this discipline at the National and International level.
Career AVENUES: Postgraduates with library & Information Communication Technology (ICT) expertise have a positive chance of being offered responsible positions in various types of Libraries &Information Centers.
Vision & Mission
To equip the students with the advanced professional skills for the management of information/knowledge, libraries and information centers. So that they can serve the society through an institution of library and information centre or through consultancy.
To achieve the above objectives of the course programme, it needs to realize the following:
- To impart the students through understanding of patterns of knowledge development and its organization.
- To develop an understanding among students about the properties of literature in the fields of Humanities, Social Sciences, Pure Sciences, Applied Sciences etc.
- To inculcate skills among students about the methods of research and to promote problem oriented research in the field of Library and Information Science or related topics.
- To develop an understanding among students to use information technology efficiently in information storage data processing and retrieval services of a library or information center.
- To train the students in the advanced skills of information knowledge, gathering, processing, organization and retrieval.
- To provide the students through understanding of IT applications in information environment including networks and communication systems.
- To train the students in analysis, planning and management of the systems of library and information centers.
- To provide an understanding of research methods and activities of research organizations.
- To develop skills for the production of media and material in the field of library and Information Science.