The University Library occupies a place of pride in Galgotias University and is an essential component of the Institute's outstanding research and education mission. It serves as a creative and innovative partner in supporting teaching, learning, scholarship and research activities of the Institute. It is the most lively place on the campus providing a conducive environment that enables learning and advancement of knowledge and promotes discovery and scholarship. The pleasant ambience and the well-furnished library with spacious reading rooms create an atmosphere of serenity and thereby inspire intellectual stimulation and research.
The library aims to empower the teaching mission and intellectual culture of the University community through availability of an organized collection of information, as well as instruction in its access, relevance and evaluation. It seeks to nurture the budding scholars to instill confidence in dealing with increasing amount of information in an ever-changing array of formats.
The mission of the University Library is to enrich and advance learning and discovery by providing access to a broad array of resources for education, research and creative work to ensure the rich interchange of ideas in the pursuit of knowledge.
- To render excellent services of various types in tune with the user needs and aspirations.
- To develop a comprehensive and balanced collection of print and digital information resources related to educational & research programs.
- To be accessible and responsive to its clientele by proactively trying to understand and anticipate requirements
- To inculcate information awareness among library users through the preparation of information services and instructional programs.
- To establish and develop relation of communication and cooperation with other information institutions, at local, regional and international levels.
The central library is the intellectual heart of Galgotias University. It aspires for excellence in support for the learning, teaching and research mission of the university with an aim:
- To evolve an ICT-driven world class academic and research library serving as an access point institution to global information resources and services in all subject fields.
- To create a Heritage Library consisting of conventional and digital resources of all published work of GU scholars.
- To develop an institutional repository to archive and disseminate the University’s research output facilitating the scholarly communication globally.
- To provide the most user-friendly environment for teaching, learning and research so that the University Library becomes the centre-piece of scholarly activities in the University system.
- To offer information services that is user-centered and instrumental to the advancement of teaching, learning, research and scholarship.
- To collaborate with faculty members in the common enterprise of knowledge generation, organization, preservation, and effective dissemination.
- To develop effective linkage mechanisms that enables the Library’s clientele to access information in other knowledge institutions both locally and internationally.
With the fast growing collection, both in digital and print form using the state-of-the-art facilities, the Library is contributing to the University's mission of becoming a world class Institute.The collection of the Library is rich and diverse, especially in terms of the breadth and depth of coverage. Collection encompasses subjects in Communication technology, Computer science, Electronics, Information technology, Medical and Allied sciences, Humanities, Social sciences and related areas. This collection includes books, Research Journals, conference proceedings, Project reports, CDs etc. The library has committed itself to provide the best possible core collection. Its collection development policy is formulated keeping in view of the University's mission statement and strategic plan in mind.It is linked very closely to the general and specific programs of the varsity and is in conformity with the information needs of the user population.
The rich collection of the library comprises of the following resources:
- Total no. of Books - 1,11.627
- Total no. of Print Journals - 442
- International - 245
- National - 197
- Total no. of CDs/DVDs - 5727
- Total no. of Project Reports - 437
Electronic Databases & Online Journals
- EBSCO Business Source Premier covers all business disciplines, including marketing, management, accounting, finance and economics. Additional full text, non-journal content includes market research reports, industry reports, country reports, company profiles and SWOT analyses.
- IEL for engineering sciences includes Journals, Conference proceedings & Standards.
- Springer covers all the disciplines of Applied Sciences, Engineering Sciences, and Medical & Allied Sciences. It includes Journal articles, books and reference works.
- ACM Digital Library covers the fields of computing and information technology. The full-text database includes the complete collection of ACM's publications, including journals, conference proceedings, magazines, newsletters, and multimedia titles.
- ASCE E-Journals package includes 33 journals—more than 7,000 papers per year of all the areas of Civil Engineering research and practice.
- ASME E-Journals package includes research articles and conference proceedings covering all the areas of Mechanical Engineering
- Bentham Science Pharmacy Collection includes Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Medical research journal articles.
- Lexis Nexis
LexisNexis is a leading global provider of content-enabled workflow solutions designed specifically for professionals in the legal, risk management, corporate, government, law enforcement, accounting, and academic markets.
- Manupatra is a legal research database for law. It covers Case Studies of Supreme Court & 21 High Courts, Case laws of other Courts (Federal Court, Lahore, Nagpur, Oudh, Peshawar, Privy Council, Rangoon & Sindh High Court) and other technical literature.
- DELNET Databases offers access to nearly 1.75 crore records of books, periodicals, articles, thesis & Dissertations and other databases. Besides this, it also provides Inter library Loan & document delivery Services to all its member libraries.
- KNIMBUS provides an online platform for scholarly communication providing access to cutting edge scholarly content to the researchers with the recent developments in their respective fields and tools to share knowledge with peers globally.
- WEST LAW contains an ever expanding collection of case law that is updated daily. Alongside Indian case law, Westlaw India also includes case law materials from the UK, EU, United States and other Commonwealth jurisdictions.
- HEIN ONLINE is a premier online research product with more than 100 million pages of legal history available in an online, fully-searchable, image-based format. It bridges the gap in legal history by providing comprehensive coverage from inception of more than 1,800 law and law-related periodicals.
The university has a well equipped digital library consisting of 30 PC nodes / laptop, includes IBM INTEL Core based servers connected on a high speed Gigabit Ethernet Fibre Optic/UTP based network in a distributed Windows and Linux environment. All these nodes have access to the Internet through a 100 MBPS leased line. Application software like MS Project, SPSS, SQL Server, is extensively used. Facilities for Scanning & printing include high speed Laser Jet Network printers are available in Library
Galgotias University is completely connected with excellent Wi-Fi network. It has advanced IT facilities with adequate systems loaded with licensed Operating Systems and Software Packages. The network infrastructure is being served by HP Servers, Servers including Domain Controllers, DNS Servers, Mail Server, Proxy Server, Database Server and Print Server. The power infrastructure is supported with heavy duty uninterrupted power supply for all systems and servers to avoid data loss. The university library has a well equipped Digital Library having 30 terminals in it for student’s access, where they can access the following open online resources:-
- Consortium for Educational Communication (CEC) produced curriculum based and enrichment based (supplementary learning) educational video programmes for UG level covering major streams.
- Learning Object repository (LOR) multimedia contents based on FAQs on various topics to enhance the learning experience
- Broadcasting Media various educational programmes and contents via different media being broadcasted by CEC.
- Vyas Higher Educational Channel a 24x7 run channel broadcasts educational programmes on various subjects.
- Swayam Prabha a group of 32 DTH channels devoted to telecast high quality educational programmes.
- e-PG Pathshala the MHRD project for development/production of high quality, curriculam based, interactive E-content (course where) in 77 PG subjects across all disciplines.
- E-Kalpa a project on creating digital learning environment for design.
The University library provides excellent academic ambience for its clientele ie. The faculty members, research scholars, students and other staff of the university where they can access thousands of research and learning resources in print and online, and derive benefits from the libraries commitment of providing high quality resources and services.
The university library is an active member of many of the resource centers across the country being maintained and operated by MHRD, UGC etc. It also achieves maximum benefit from various the various programmes to its uses. A brief write-up of such initiatives is furnished below:-
- Plagiarism checks of Doctoral theses, Post Graduates, M.Phil dissertations and research articles using TURNITIN software.
- Member of National Digital Library, an MHRD initiative, with lakhs of online documents more than 12,000 faculty members, students and other staff members are registered with it.
- Maintaining the Institutional Repository ie. The management &dissemination of digital material created by Galgotias University and its community members. It also includes digital assets like datasets, administrative documents, course notes, learning objects, conference proceedings etc.
- NPTEL (National Programme in Technology Enhanced Learning) a project initiated by MHRD for creating course contents in Engineering & Science disciplines through Web & Video Courses and indexing all courses through keyword searching.
- SWAYAM (Study Webs of Active –Learning for Young Aspiring Minds) platform developed by MHRD covering School, Under-Graduate, Post-Graduate, Engineering , Law and other professional courses with Video Lectures, downloadable Reading Material, Self-Assessment tests, Online Discussion Forum for doubts clearing.
- VIDWAN, a premier database of profile of Scientists/Researcher and other faculty members working at leading Academic Institutions & other R&D organizations involved in Teaching & Research in India. It provides important information about Experts’ Background, Contact Address, Experience, Scholarly Publication, Skills, and Accomplishments, research Identity etc.
- MOOC (Massive Open Online Courses) aimed at unlimited participation & open access via the web, it emerged as popular mode of learning and provides interactive courses with user forums to support community interactions among students and professors with immediate feedback to quick quizzes and assignments and promote reuse & remixing of resources.
- E Shodh Sindhu (Consortium for Higher Education Electronic Resources) provides access to e-resources to Universities, Colleges & CFTI (Centrally Funded Technical Institutions) provides current & archival access to more than 15000 core & peer-reviewed journals and number of full text, bibliographic and factual databases. It bridges digital divide and move towards an information rich society.
- Shodh Ganga, a reservoir of Indian theses provides a platform for research students a deposit their PhD theses and make it available to the entire scholarly community in open access.
- Shodh Gangotri is the repository of ongoing research in the country would reveal the trends and directions of research being conducted and would avoid duplication of research.
The University library provides the following services to its clientele:-
- Orientation Programme
- Information Literacy
- User Education
- Reference and Information Service
- Electronic Database and Online - Journals
- Digital Archiving
- OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue)
- Internet Facility
- Current Awareness Service
- Lending Service
- Extension Service
- Reprographic Service
Message from the University Librarian
Welcome to the Galgotias University Library. Our mission is to enhance teaching and learning at Galgotias University through the provision of flexible, diverse, and user-centered information services and resources.
The library staff strives to create an organization that is receptive to innovation, recognized for efficient management, and focused on continuous improvement in our services, resources, and facilities.To that end, we value your comments—user feedback is reviewed that results into service / resource enhancements.
I invite you to take full advantage of the services and resources, we offer.